The IAAF Council met in March and emerged with a list of amended competition rules, most notably the reinstatement of the “60-second” rule for athlete attempts in field events (Rule 180.17).
This week, the USATF Board of Directors approved an emergency amendment of our own rule 180.12(e) to reinstate the 60-second time window, maintaining consistency with the IAAF rules. This amendment takes effect as of April 8, 2019.
Full list of rules amended by the IAAF Council in March:
- R113 – To better provide for athletes’ health and safety in longer running and walking races
- R149.3 – To clarify that performances may be valid in race walk even with penalty zone
- R170 – To provide flexibility in developing further new relay concepts
- R180.6 – To change the competing order before the last trials in the horizontal field events
- R180.17 – To go back to the 1 minute time for trials in all field events
- R200.1-5 – To clarify that the two consecutive days of combined events can mean two consecutive 24 hour periods
- R230.7 – Pit lane to be penalty zone
- R250.6 – To remove the mandated use of departure boxes and leave it as an option
To view the complete and official set of IAAF & USATF competition rules: