provided by Erik Kynard
- Coaches Advisory vs. professional coaching
- Grants, funds and insurance for professional coaches, approved stipends, USOC grants, Etc.
- 2016 31 coaches, coached medal winning athletes at the games.
- 2004-2012 84 coaches in World Indoor and Outdoor coached medal winning athletes. 43 were college coaches.
- 31 coaches got $60,000 (roughly)
- Focus is on medal attainment.
- The best interest of the coaches is in the best interest of the athlete. Compensation, from USATF and adequate compensation from athletes, vs agent etc.
- (Duffy- Currently the make-up of the high-performance discussion executive committee needs coaches advisory committee member and professional or podium coaches represent. NOT development.)
provided by Sharon Day Monroe:
- Previous meeting minutes approved
- Committee reports- Grants and Awards-looking for nominations for Legend Coaching Award for those who have passed away
- Introduction of Executive Committee Members
- Updated from Terry Crawford on Coaches Registry
- effective 2019 there will be minimum standards for coaches to be on Registry.
- notification for the new program/requirements will go out early 2018.
- It would be good for the AAC to discuss new coaches registry requirements and what it would mean for credentials at Nationals starting 2019. Including credentials for coaches, medical and athlete support.
- Approximately 25K available in grants for coaches and mentoring opportunities
- successful in 2017 and an increase in applications!
- TrackTown assembling a coaches council to provide insight for 2021 and hosting Worlds in Eugene.
- Professional coaches association Darvel Woodson: coaches looking to organize in order to gain better support from USOC/USATF and other sources. is. revenue, insurance, better accommodations and travel to meets for pro coaches, especially those who produce podium athletes and stretching that to include up and coming/successful coaches.
provided by Taylor Sanderson:
- NIKE Coach of the Year: Jerry Schumaker
- Coach Registry List:
- Consistent minimum standard of qualifications (starting 1/2018- coaches will be notified)
- Must have verified education/course started 1/2018
- Policy will continue to be reviewed going forward
- Coaches for indoor/outdoor champs must be on coach’s registry
- Will be fully required 1/19 and viewable registry.
- Coach Grants: average $25k/year in available coaching grant across different events
- Coaches Selecting National Team Staffs
- want more involvement in electing coaches, setting selection procedures
- must be in coaches registry to be selected as a national team coach
- Professionalization of Coaches:
- sub committee of pro coaches
- need better cohesiveness among coaches group
- where is the line established for elite coaches?
- group feels undervalued, cited budget cuts as example, championship success
- compared budget for athlete’s coaches compared to athlete’s budget
provided by Stephanie Trafton:
- Future vision is to create a list of reputable/proven coaches for athletes going “pro.” This is a future vision.
- In 2019, Coaches Registry is adding a new qualification to make it required for coaches to have taken a class or set of classes or have proven coaching accomplishments.
- Will not necessarily be tied to the registry BUT each event has their own credentialing process.
Professional Coaching Designations:
- Discussion of the need to recognize and pay coaches who produce podium athletes. No movements, just discussion. Creating a subcommittee to discuss future action.
provided by Amber Campbell:
- Coaches Advisory Committee can now nominate 2 coaches to sit on the international staff selection committee.
- A coaches’ council will be selected by TrackTown USA for the 2021 World Champs. The group will consult on athletes’ needs.
- There will be a new coaches’ certification going into effect in 2019.