The Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center (CVEATC) is located in Chula Vista, CA, and is managed by a company called Elite Athlete Services (EAS). USA Track & Field contracts with EAS to offer programs at the training center for qualified elite athletes.
The main category of the programs offered at the CVEATC is referred to as the Residence Program, either “off-site” or “on-site.” Other categories are Short Term Programs and Facility Use Programs. Whereas the “on-site” aspect is where athletes reside at the CVEATC. Athletes approved for “off-site” status must secure their own housing off-campus, but enjoy all of the other privileges (e.g. meals, training & strength training facility & sport science & medicine support) on campus.
Athletes approved for the Residence Program in an “on-site” status will be provided a room, based on double occupancy, on campus at the CVEATC. This program is funded by the USOC. The USOC’s measure of success is based on the attainment of medals at outdoor world-major championship. This Residence Program is designed for jumpers, throwers, and multi-event athletes. These athletes would have access to use the facilities pending the approval of both the USATF High Performance staff and Residence Program coaching staff. At present, the Residence Program is not set up to support the sprints, hurdles, distance or race walk events.
Acceptance into this program is contingent upon an athlete submitting an application with both the USATF High Performance staff and Residence Program coaching staff. Greater weight will be given to those athletes who have achieved the current World or Olympic qualifying standard in that year. The Residence Program coach in that athlete’s event area will also be part of the application review process and must agree to coach/work with that athlete should the athlete be accepted into the Residence Program. Lastly, acceptance into the on-site or off-site privileges/benefits, is for a two (2)-year period; unless there were extraordinary situations calling for a review and possible ending of the Residence Program after the first year.
Benefits & Privileges for Athletes in USATF’s Residence Program at the CVEATC
- Athletes approved for on-site status will be provided a room, based on double occupancy, in Elite Athlete Services (EAS) housing at the CVEATC
- All athletes in the Residence Program will be included in a full meal package as provided by EAS at the CVEATC
- Coaching supervision & support for daily training, as well as for/at designated domestic competitions. Working under the coaching supervision of USATF Residence Program coaches is a requirement of all track & field Residence Program athletes.
- Coaching supervision at select international competition(s)
- Athletic training support for daily training, as well as for/at designated domestic competitions and select international competitions.
- Additional Athletic training/sports medicine support by USATF and USOC professional staff at the CVEATC
- Strength training & conditioning support by USOC staff at the CVEATC’s on-site strength training facility.
- Sport science support by USATF and USOC professional staff at the CVEATC.
- Support for travel, housing, per diem/meals, transfers and baggage fees for/at designated domestic competitions.
- Use of the USOC-provided Recovery Center, up to the number of hours of use per week as designated by the USATF coaching staff.
- Eligibility for the USOC’s Elite Athlete Health Insurance program if not otherwise qualified
PLEASE NOTE: Aggressive, rude, or discourteous behavior directed towards USATF, CVEATC or EAS staff is not tolerated and will result in a re-examination of the athlete’s status in the Residency Program.
Below you will find more details about the different categories of the programs offered at CVEATC:
CVEATC Residence Program
- The current (2018-2019) Program has 17 “On-Site” positions and 12 “Off-Site” positions. The “On-Site” positions are fully occupied. Currently, there are 2 “Off-Site” positions still available.
- Program is for athletes competing in the jumps, throws and multi-events Program. There isn’t a sprint, hurdle, distance or race walk component in the Residence Program.
Short Term Program
- Training programs consisting of approximately 90 days use for any Program year.
- Can be either “On-Site” or “Off-Site,” depending on the availability of bed space for the duration.
- Housing is based on double occupancy, in Residence Program dormitories. Cost in 2019 will be $194 per room, per day.
- Athlete must have their own coach or supervisory personnel – or else work under the coaching supervision of a CVEATC R.P. coach who has agreed to do so.
- The cost for these programs may be covered/supported by USOC “credits” provided to USATF annually, OR be on a “self-pay” basis for the athlete.
Facility Use Program
- For athletes who reside in the Chula Vista/San Diego area, and who wish to use the CVEATC facility as their training base. USATF R.P. coach must agree to provide coaching supervision to the athlete.
- These programs do not include housing nor meals, unless the athlete chooses to pay for a meal(s) on an “as you go” basis.