AAC Treasurer and Director of Professionalism Lauryn Williams hosts webinars covering topics like making a budget, planning for taxes, working with an agent and more. Lauryn herself is a financial advisor and wants to pair her athletic experience with her current profession to help athletes reach their financial goals and be prepared for life after track. Check out previously recorded webinars below, and stay tuned on Slack and Twitter or our Calendar for our schedule of upcoming webinars.
Check out the videos below, as well as our Finance & Taxes page, which offers worksheets and templates to help you get your financial life organized.
- Athletes and Taxes – Former Track and Field athlete and now CPA Tanisha Mills works frequently with Olympic Athletes to file their taxes. In this webinar she troubleshoots many of the topics specific to Olympic Athletes. She also provides tips for getting organized.
- Social Media and Branding – We Talk how to leverage your ideas, interest and personality to create your ideal brand. Guest on this webinar include USATF’s Susan Hazzard, Syd and Natasha of 80Wins and Jack Wickens of AthleteBiz.
- Veteran’s Day: – Track and Field’s greatest share their experiences and tips on how to have a great career and the best opportunities to maintain longevity in Track and Field. Special guests are Adam Nelson, Stacy Dragila, Khadevis Robinson, and Gail Devers. Don’t miss out on this awesome opportunity to learn from this talented panel.
- What the heck is a Financial Planner & why would I need one? – In this session, 4x Olympian turned financial planner Lauryn Williams talks about how to figure out if you should hire someone to help you organize your finances. Often people hesitant to work with someone because they don’t know what a financial planner does and are not sure what to ask when speaking to one. This webinar give you the tools you need to get started.
- Investing in Yourself: An Athlete’s Entourage, with Sanya Richards Ross – We are athletes but we are also professionals. What does it mean to truly run your athletic career as a business? When is the right time to add to your team? What should you be thinking about when you hire someone? 3-time Olympian Sanya Richards-Ross will share with us how during her 13-year career she chose to invest in herself by building a support team. She will discuss the obstacles and opportunities that came from having an agent, a manager, a PR team, a publicist, a track coach, a strength coach, a physio and a mental strength coach.
- Business of Track & Field, for PARENTS – This session was live in Sacramento at the USATF Outdoor Championships for parents. A panel answers questions such as:
- What to expect as a parent to a new pro athlete
- What not to say after a loss
- Building a great support team
- Time commitment involved outside of competition
- Choosing an agent and training group
- The different ways an athlete can earn money
- Rivalries: how to cheer for your child without wishing the demise of their opponent
- WTF is AAC? – The USATF Athlete’s Advisory Committee (AAC) mission is to communicate the interests and protect the rights and privileges of athletes and to support USATF and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) to maintain our position as the “World’s #1 Track & Field Team.” Some of the questions answered in this video:
- What is the AAC?
- What does the AAC do?
- What is the Annual Meeting?
- Who can I reach out to if…?
- What are some resources are available to me?
Related information: Finance & Taxes