Thursday, December 5, 2019 (Opening AAC General Session):
- Introduction presentation HERE
- Event Group “huddles” notes HERE
- Dr. Robert Chapman’s presentation on 2020 plans for USATF Sports Medicine and Science (Link forthcoming)
- For the Tokyo 2020 Playbook and other information and documents related to the 2020 Games and Sports Med/Science, CLICK HERE.
Friday, December 6, 2019:
Travis Tygart, CEO of USADA:
- WADA Code updates for 2021: Retaliation against whistleblowers can result in a ban; New substance abuse category such as cocaine that will allow for reductions (since they’re non performance enhancing); New definition of recreational athlete added (won’t affect our group much)
- 2021 World Championships in the U.S. (Eugene): Athletes in the room ask that we try to require all competitors to have been tested leading up to the World Champs (6 months); In London for 2017 Worlds, they hired a private company and there wasn’t enough transparency
- Travis also gave a summary of the Nike Oregon Project investigation and outcome and took questions for 30 minutes from the room
2019 National Teams: Aretha Thurmond, Kimberly Sims (USATF)
- Marathoners and Racewalkers (who compete earlier in the year) are going to be flown to Eugene to go through team processing on the 1st day of the Olympic Trials.
- For people doubling in the Marathon/10K or 50K/20K Racewalk, they can choose to go through team processing during either event’s window. They just need to let Aretha know ahead of time.
- 2020 Olympic Team Qualifying Procedures:
- You need to have hit the Standard OR have a high enough World Athletics Ranking
- For the MARATHON: Top 3 make the team because it’s a Gold Label Event (thus top 5 are considered to have hit the Standard)
- 50K RACEWALK: Top 3 with the Standard make the team. On June 3, they will go to the World Rankings list if there aren’t 3 with the Standard
- TRACK & FIELD:
- Top 3 place finishes protected (not top 3 with standard as in past)
- If 1-3 have the Standard, that’s the team
- If 1 & 3 have the Standard, they’re on the team. 2nd place is held until July 1 when World Athletics releases list of qualified athletes. Go down list of qualified athletes in Trials place order to get the final person (you must finish your event to get a place finish!)
- If top 3 don’t all have the Standard, they’ll have the top 4 go through team processing
- List of World Athletics “qualified athletes” = athletes with the Standard OR are on the top world rankings list released July 1 by World Athletics.
- World rankings window includes Trials. Unsure what our Trials is ranked at in terms of how many points 1st place gets, etc.
- NO invitations or wild cards for the Olympics
- After the team is filled, between July 2 and 5, IAAF wants to fill the field, so they’ll go to the next highest ranked athlete and invite them if we don’t already have 3 entered in that event
- The 2020 Playbook has all of the details for logistics for 2020
- 2020 personal coach housing: must book AND pay by the end of Trials
- Sapporo (Marathon):
- Details TBD on Sapporro housing
- Supposedly they’re (IOC) flying marathon medalists to Tokyo for the closing ceremonies
- There will be a satellite USATF crew in Sapporo
- Full Presentation HERE
IOC Rule 40 and 50: Julia Clukey, Director of Athlete Services at USOPC:
- Full Presentation HERE
- Rule 40 has been relaxed, as the IOC is allowing the NOC’s to enforce. Presentation linked above lays out the details.
- The USOPC has also adopted a Maternity Policy, also laid out in the presentation.
- Discussion regarding IOC Rule 50 (on protests at the Games). Han Xiao, the chair of the USOPC AAC, is in the room and update the group: The USOPC AAC told the USOPC that if there’s going to be a rule, the IOC needs to define the repercussions so the athletes know what they’re risking. Also need to know exactly what the definition of a protest is, so it’s clear. They would like additional athlete feedback.
- Logos on uniforms at the Trials: USATF relaxed the rules but USOPC governs the Trials, so the rules are still the same there (1 manufacturer’s logo, 1 team/club logo if approved). This is the other component of Rule 50. The legal counsel from USOPC in the room said that the contract with NBC asks for clean garments, so they’ve always used Rule 50’s sizes as guidelines. USATF AAC will send an official letter to the USOPC asking them to ask NBC to allow relaxed logo rules.
USOPC Athlete Career Education Programs: Terris Tiller, USOPC
- Terris emphasizes the importance for planning for life after sport. The group participates in discussions and works on their own personal statement. Full presentation below contains details.
- Full presentation HERE.
Saturday, December 7, 2019:
AthleteBiz & USATF Foundation: Jack Wickens, Founder
- Before the presentation began, the AAC awarded Jack the inaugural Gold Medal Champion award for service from a non-AAC member that significantly contributed to the well-being of athletes.
- USATF Foundation: Applications for grants open in March. They’ve raised another $400,000, so total is $1.4 mil they award annually in athlete grants!
- AthleteBiz offers athletes a free website/platform to promote themselves and raise money via donations, coaching services, speaking engagements and more. It also offers a way for athletes to make a commission off of products sold on RunningWarehouse.com.
- Newest initiative is YourNextSuccess – pairing athletes with experienced professionals and executives to help them prepare for their post-athletic career. Also career assessment tools. Vast network.
- Full Presentation HERE
2020 Olympic Trials: Mike Riley, CEO of TrackTown USA
- Trials housing opens 1/13 for booking by Tier athletes and TPP athletes ONLY (those athletes will receive an email)
- 1 room can be booked per athlete, and 1 room per agent, per coach with a Tier/TPP athlete, per medical provider with a Tier/TPP athlete
- $149-$209 + taxes
- Graduate Hotel for Tier 1 & TPP
- Other list of hotels (should be on TrackTown site/in email)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
- Can cancel up to 10 days prior
- On May 4, 2020, available rooms will be opened up for everyone else
- Hayward Field is on schedule and will host 2020 Pac 12’s and Pre Classic
- Trials tickets available at Tracktown20.com
- Uber & Lyft working in Eugene
- Please send feedback to email@example.com or via social media
AAC Roundtable Discussions
- Topics include: Rule 50, international athletes union (The Athletes Association), domestic athletes union
- The AAC roundtable discussions were closed-door; public notes not taken